2020 KTM 450 SX-F
Power Supremacy: The championship-winning KTM 450 SX-F offers a proven formula that is the industry benchmark. For 2020, this machine continues to deliver superior performance and easy handling. It features an extremely compact, single overhead camshaft cylinder head and together with the efficient electronic fuel injection, it pushes out unrivalled power in the most effective way possible. The KTM 450 SX-F is simply the fastest Motocross bike out on the track.
- 4-strokes have taken motocross to unthinkable new extremes in a playground where KTM is the dominant force. Lighter and more compact than ever thought possible, these well-balanced engineering masterpieces deliver class-leading power in the most dynamic way. Straight from the showroom floor, KTM 4-strokes offer READY TO RACE performance of the highest caliber.
- Unrivalled power: The 450 cc engine is the ultimate powerhouse when it comes to KTM's competitive motocross range. Its compact, lightweight design features a single overhead camshaft cylinder head, fueled by the latest electronic injection system. This enables the impressive power to be distributed extremely efficiently throughout the rev range. Even with its super-beneficial electric starter, this model is still the lightest 450 cc engine on the MX market.
- Cylinder head: The KTM 450 SX-F is fitted with a lightweight, compact SOHC (single overhead camshaft) cylinder head. The design focusses on mass centralization, contributing to overall handling excellence. The overhead camshaft has a friction-optimized surface and valve timing that delivers impressive responsiveness. The four ultra-lightweight titanium valves (intake 40 mm, exhaust 33 mm) are activated via extremely rigid rocker arms. The rockers on the intake side are DLC coated, allowing for impressive engine speeds to 11,500 rpm. Low-friction chain guides further support the high RPM levels. The innovative head configuration guarantees the most efficient delivery of the unrivalled power, maintaining a strong edge over the competition.
- Crankshaft: The crankshaft on the KTM 450 SX-F is located in an ideal position close to the center of gravity, contributing to better mass centralization. It utilizes a short connecting rod, which allows for a compact motor design and a snappier power delivery. The whole unit is extremely well-balanced, with the perfect amount of inertia for optimal traction and rideability. A plain big end bearing with two force-fitted bearing shells runs directly on the crank pin, with the necessary oil feed for this bearing supplied by the engine's pressure lubrication. This design also enhances durability, allowing for long crankshaft service intervals - resulting in less effort and cost and more time spent on two wheels.
- Crankcases and engine covers: The compact engine cases are manufactured using a high pressure die-cast production process that helps with weight reduction, while retaining strength and durability. The design allows for optimal shaft arrangements close to the center of gravity, resulting in better mass centralization and easier rideability. The engine covers feature a smart surface structure that reduces wear caused by the rider's boots, keeping them looking as fresh as the day you bought it.
- Effective heat control: Maintaining the optimal engine temperature is crucial to ensuring consistent horsepower throughout the ride. The KTM 450 SX-F features radiators which are positioned for a lower center of gravity. Their design matches the shrouds perfectly and offers a great slim feel to the ergonomics. By using CFD technology (computational fluid dynamics) together with a clever coolant circuit routing, the innovative system ensures the optimum engine temperature for the highest performance, no matter what the conditions. The radiators also feature special protectors that serve not only as protection from flying rocks and debris but also as a brace that disperses energy around the radiators in the event of an impact.
- Tuned for power: When it comes to power delivery and performance, the exhaust on all 4-stroke models plays a key role and packs a punch that is hard to beat. It features a model-specific header pipe with an advanced resonator called FDH (Flow Design Header), which is a small chamber around the pipe. The design allows the exhaust to be disassembled without removing the shock absorber and also provides better access to the shock. The aluminum sleeve, end cap and internal design of the silencer allow for slimmer ergonomics, making the bike feel narrower, without compromise to regulatory noise limits.
- The KTM 450 SX-F delivers metal twisting torque and requires a strong frame to handle its immense power and speed. A new lightweight, high-tech steel frame was developed for the 2019 range and the proven formula carries over to the 2020 model. It features refined flex characteristics that ensure the bike soaks up those big hits while also maintaining excellent agility and high-speed stability. The chassis also features additional innovative elements like "no dirt" foot pegs and brackets for mounting an optional composite skid plate. For 2020, the suspension features improved damping characteristics. The reworked settings offer a slightly softer, more comfortable feel that, together with the dynamic, performance-oriented chassis, contribute to an intuitive, high-performance ride like no other.
- Superior core stability: As with the entire KTM SX range, the frame on the KTM 450 SX-F is professionally crafted from hydroformed chromium molybdenum steel tubes that are robot welded to ensure the highest levels of consistent quality. The precisely calculated stiffness of the frame delivers responsive handling and works perfectly with the suspension to provide excellent agility and high-speed stability. All 2020 KTM SX frames feature a highly durable powder coating and come with standard frame protectors. The subframe is made from lightweight aluminum and provides great feeling for the rider, as well as easy movement across the seat.
- Swingarm: The KTM 450 SX-F's one-piece swingarm is manufactured using a gravity die-cast production process for exceptional strength at the lowest possible weight. It offers a wide range of adjustment for the rear wheel, allowing for a shorter wheelbase on tighter, twisty tracks, or a longer wheelbase for greater stability on longer, more choppy tracks. The swingarm's chain measurement markings are visible from above, making adjustment simpler and more accurate.
- KTM uses lightweight, CNC-machined hubs and high-end Excel rims on all SX models, guaranteeing maximum stability and minimum weight. The aluminum spoke nipples feature a design that conveniently reduces the frequency with which the spokes need to be tightened. The wheels are fitted with the latest DUNLOP Geomax MX 3S tires, delivering maximum grip and stability, effectively transferring all the power to the ground.
- Rear suspension: All KTM SX models feature a WP XACT DDC (Dynamic damping control) monoshock, which has been developed to work as a complete unit with the entire frame and swingarm architecture, as well as the linkage system and the WP XACT fork. It features high-quality machined and anodized components, which add a touch of class and give it appeal beyond just a functional necessity. It is fully adjustable, including high and low speed compression, allowing you to set the shock up precisely to suit any track and rider's preferences.
- Front suspension: All full-size KTM SX models are fitted with the super-lightweight WP XACT front forks with AER technology and feature updated settings for 2020. It is a 48 mm USD air-sprung fork with separate functions in each fork leg, with damping functions on the right side and the air spring on the left. The left leg features a two-chamber system with a capsuled air cartridge, helping prevent loss of air pressure. Essentially, this means that in the rare case of a leaking outer seal, the internal cartridge pressure keeps the bike in a normal position. The air spring is exceptionally easy to use and can be adjusted to any rider weight via a single air valve and the air pump that is supplied with the bike. The right fork leg integrates a damping cartridge to fit single damping leg requirements and can be adjusted to the track conditions and the rider's preferences. Additionally, the fork top caps have a new design for improved, easy adjustment (compression) from top, rebound from bottom, 30 clicks each).
- Triple clamp: All KTM SX models feature top quality, CNC-machined triple clamps which have become a KTM trademark. The triple clamp has a precisely calculated stiffness and offset (22 mm offset for all models) to match the flex characteristics of the frame and fork. The result is a front end that all works in perfect harmony, contributing positively to the overall handling and stability. The rubber damped handlebar fixation reduces vibration and also allows for some adjustment with 2 different mounting positions. An hour meter is fitted as standard on the upper triple clamp on all SX models, keeping the rider informed of the number of hours spent tearing up the track and when the next service is due.
- Highly effective braking: High-tech BREMBO brakes have always been standard equipment on all KTM motocross bikes. Combined with lightweight wave discs, the renowned system provides the highest level of braking efficiency, enabling you to out-brake the competition.
- Shaped for mobility: All models in the KTM SX range are fitted with lightweight polyethylene fuel tanks. The shape of the fuel tank allows for slim ergonomics without compromise to the 1.85 gallon fuel capacity. The filler cap has an inside thread that makes for easy and reliable closure. All models in the KTM SX range are fitted with lightweight polyethylene fuel tanks. The shape of the fuel tank allows for slim ergonomics without compromise to the 1.85 gallon fuel capacity. The filler cap has an inside thread that makes for easy and reliable closure.
- When it comes to the powerhouse of KTM's SX range, it is imperative that riders are able to shift their weight quickly and easily to counter the forces acting against them. KTM places a great deal of emphasis on creating the optimal ergonomics for high-level performance, making sure the neutral riding position offers the best control. A rider's main interaction with the motorcycle comes through the bodywork, seat, footpegs and handlebars and all these contact points play a vital role in balance and control. There is no doubt that the KTM 450 SX-F packs a serious punch and by ensuring the very best high-performance ergonomics, a rider has the confidence and control to use it as it is meant to be.
- Made for mobility: All KTM SX models feature a seat that perfectly matches the range's dynamic performance-oriented ergonomics. The seat cover features silicone strips that provide better feel and grip for the rider. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it secure and easy to handle. All KTM SX models feature a seat that perfectly matches the range's dynamic performance-oriented ergonomics. The seat cover features silicone strips that provide better feel and grip for the rider. The seat is conveniently fixed to the bike using one long, lateral screw, making it secure and easy to handle.
- Control in your hands: All full-size KTM SX models are equipped with the same high-strength aluminum tapered handlebar, made by NEKEN. The handlebar is fixed in rubber damped mountings, which allow for two different positions. The handlebars come standard with an ODI vulcanized grip on the right side and a comfortable ODI lock-on grip, which does not require any wire or glue, on the left.
- Staying connected: Sophisticated ´no-dirt´ footpegs prevent clogging of the footpeg pivot, even when digging in deep ruts. Looking for a higher riding position? Then just mount the footpegs of the 2019 EXC models, which are 6 mm higher than the SX versions.
- Unloading a KTM 450 SX-F at the track is an immediate declaration of your race winning intentions. Using feedback from KTM factory riders, the bodywork of the entire SX range achieves complete harmony between bike and rider. The main focus is to provide contact points that allow maximum freedom of movement and improved overall handling. Brute strength at the lowest possible weight is what this bike is all about and can be seen in the details of the intelligent I-beam design on the front and rear fenders, which guarantee maximum stability at no extra weight.
- The winning look: The new aggressive-looking graphics were designed to send a clear message to the competition that this is not a bike that should be taken lightly.
- With the KTM 450 SX-F's dirt-ripping engine performance, every effort has been made to ensure the power is delivered in a controllable manner. As well as the considerable mechanical effort to produce usable power, there is also an electronics package with the ability to refine it to perfection. Activated by a multifunctional handlebar map switch, a rider has access to important features like traction control, launch control and even alternative power curves. Many hours were spent in development, creating mind-blowing power and torque, making electronics a necessary innovation that ensures power gets to the ground in the most effective way. A proven electric starter gets this dirt-shredder fired up, ensuring the ultimate motocross experience starts with the simple push of a button.
- Always ready: All SX-F models feature a capable, super lightweight 2 Ah Lithium-Ion starter battery, ensuring quick and effective starting of the engine, especially in cold weather conditions. The voltage regulator and condenser, as well as all the electrical components, are packaged in a common area below the seat, making the entire system compact and reliable.
- Traction Control: TRACTION CONTROL is a highly beneficial feature that guarantees more efficient traction and better control of the bike when accelerating on wet or slippery hard pack surfaces. It can be activated by the handlebar map switch during riding.
- Launch Control: By pushing both buttons on the map switch, the rider can activate LAUNCH CONTROL, which ensures a more efficient launch out of the start gate. It reduces the maximum engine speed for the very first moment of the start to give better control. The EFI control lamp mounted on the upper triple clamps flashes when the function is active.
- Handlebar Map Select Switch: With one touch of a button, the map switch gives the rider the chance to select between a standard map setting and a more aggressive map for loamy, high grip dirt conditions. This is particularly useful for changing track conditions or for a rider that is looking for more control as he begins to fatigue.
- Displacement: 449.9 cm³
- Design: 1-cylinder, 4-stroke engine
- Stroke: 63.4 mm
- Bore: 95 mm
- Starter: Electric starter
- Transmission: 5-speed
- Clutch: Wet, DDS multi-disc clutch, Brembo hydraulics
- EMS: Keihin EMS
- Frame design: Central double-cradle-type 25CrMo4 steel
- Front suspension: WP XACT-USD, Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP XACT Monoshock with linkage
- Front brake: Disc brake
- Rear brake: Disc brake
- Front brake disc diameter: 260 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 220 mm
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4"
- Steering head angle: 63.9 °
- Engine Type
- 1-cylinder, 4-stroke
- 449.9 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 95 mm x 63.4 mm
- Fuel System
- Keihin EMS
- Front Suspension
- WP XACT-USD, Ø 48 mm
- Front Brakes
- Disc brake
- Rear Suspension
- WP XACT Monoshock with linkage
- Rear Brakes
- Disc brake
- Final Drive
- Chain: 5/8 x 1/4 in.